Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Heath Ledger You Are Not, So Start Reading Labels

I made a horrible mistake last night, one that I won't repeat again. I've been fighting a cold (again) and last night I started my coughing phase. Dry, hacking, painful. I decided it was time to break out that prescription cough syrup that cost me $50. Yes, that's the copay. I was in shock when they told me the price but ended up getting it anyway.

So here I am. I take 2 tablespoons. I meant to take like 1 and a half but the syrup is thick and goopy, unlike any syrup I've ever taken and I can't get most of it back in the bottle so I take 2 tablespoons.

I spend the whole night in some weird trance. My mind won't stop racing. I can't stop the feeling that I'm half awake, half asleep. I've never done acid but if I had to guess what a trip (not a good one) feels like then maybe this would be it. Basically my cough is halted but I spend the night feeling like I'm on my way to meet my Maker from cough syrup poisoning. Is there such a thing?

I keep thinking that maybe by the time I have to wake up for work it will have worn off. So eventually my alarm goes off, my head is throbbing and floating at the same time, my neck and shoulders are killing me. I stumble to the bathroom where I can barely stand up straight. I play with my eyes and realize that my pupils aren't reacting to the light at all. I'm a total drugged mess and I'm not loving the feeling. Maybe a shower will do the trick. I get in the water and the next thing I know I'm sliding down the tiled wall and balling into myself on the tub floor. I feel like I'm seconds away from hurling.

I can barely stand enough to turn the water off and step out soaking wet. I only make it back to my bed by dragging my body along the long hall wall to my room. I crawl into bed, still dripping, breathing heavy and FREAKED. Eventually I muster enough sanity to call my boss and tell her I won't be making it in. There's just no way.

Mark swears that when I fall back asleep I stopped breathing for a second and he shakes me awake. Upon review of the bottle the amount to be taken is 1 teaspoon, every 12 hours. So 2 tablespoons at one time...not wise. I don't know what was happening when I did it but I clearly wasn't paying attention.

It's now 1:30 in the afternoon and I'm still in a pretty good haze. That was horrible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to clarify how very OUT of it you were---you babbled a number of things to me when I got home at 3 in the morning, amongst which was the statement that "we should go bowling."

What?!