Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween: A Tale of Survival

So, I don't know if this wasn't crystal clear before but I'm not a big fan of where I live. Meaning, more precisely, the building I live in. I've got loudness coming from alleys, cigarette smoke liberally wafting in from the bitch downstairs who smokes in the hallway, drug dealers who give you shady looks as you walk through their deals to get to your home, and teenagers with nothing else to do but be thugs-in-training who block the entry steps.
Add that to occasionally no water in the shower (always best when you're already covered in soap), and no heat- ever, and wow...I love it!

My only sense of hope is that Mark and I follow the same pattern as we did in Tahoe: our first apartment upon first glance was cute and cozy and then became a house of horror. Our second apartment was Tahoe-fantastic (for us anyway). I'd like to think that our second go at apartments in NYC will be a vast improvement but since I don't see our money situation really increasing and rents definitely increasing that hope is pretty grainy. It's a hard feeling to cope with- when your home is not always the sanctuary you need.

So here comes Halloween and I'm terrified. Not only is it Halloween but it's a Saturday. The vibe outside should be pretty horrible tonight. Yesterday when I arrived home there were already eggs strewn on the courtyard floor. At 4 in the morning I heard a whole lot of males hollering and making a ruckus of some sort that sounded like mounting violence. Car alarms started to go off and eventually I heard police sirens boop-booping and a voice over loudspeaker telling them to break it up. So hopefully not too much damage or carnage ensued but I'm not planning to be anywhere after dark falls. I hate walking into my courtyard in daytime I'm not risking it tonight.

Only 8 months left on the lease!

No comments: