I was not into it at all. It's a NYT bestseller and I'm sure it gets all this attention because it dares to talk about an African country where people get slaughtered because human rights don't exist.
But it was done in some sort of English lollipop way. Very much like the book I Don't Know How She Does It. I'm starting to notice that English authors who write about "modern, hip" English women all have very much the same voice and style. And I don't like it at all. It's all about weird English sass, they always have designer clothes, large estates in the suburbs outside of London. Clearly, I don't relate. But not only that, I just don't think it's good writing. It's all very shallow feeling.
Also, the main characters are a busy, wealthy, white mom and a teenage, illegal immigrant, Nigerian girl who is in mortal danger. It's written by a white English male. Who is probably just like one of his main characters except without the vagina and it just doesn't compute. I'm not saying that you can't write characters who are not like you- but I think that's a skill that not everyone has.
There. I'm done.
No comments:
Post a Comment