Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Distorted View

Ah...home! Since I've been here I've been exposed to hours of what appears to be many women's favorite daytime television show, The View. Now when The View first came out I was a high-schooler and I liked it. I did! But to me then it was grown up, opinionated, and if I was watching it that meant I probably wasn't at school that day which is always a great thing.

Of course now I'm here, back home where everything seems foreign to me at this point in my life and I'm listening to these really loud women yell over and at each other (how can I not? volume is at it's max) and a recent episode touched on the fact that this Sherri Shepherd (who I have to admit made me laugh until this particular segment, now my jaw is just agape) doesn't believe in evolution. Wha?!

Of course not believing in evolution ends up in a conversation about her belief in God and the Bible and how we were given our thought processes and human abilities and moralities straight from the Big Man Himself and she doesn't believe that this is something that has evolved through time. How is this even possible!?

I am aware that there are crazies out there who let EVERY SINGLE THOUGHT AND ACTION they do be dictated by a book called The Bible, but just the fact that someone who appears to be a fairly modern and witty person can actually believe that evolution is a fallacy! I thought these scary tendencies where restricted to creepy townsfolk and people who have never left their county and demand that their child's science textbook have a disclaimer in the front stating that evolution is just a theory.


Of course this train of thought on Ms. Shepherd's part did seem ludicrous to another of the hosts as well because she challenged her to answer the question "Is the world flat?" She actually answered "I don't know, I've never thought about it." "If your son came up to you and asked you if the world was flat, what would you answer?" "I don't know, I'd have to think about it probably."


What...WHAT!!!


Have we not numerous photographs of planet Earth? Of every planet in our solar system? I...I...I'm just at a loss for words. (well obviously not really) My initial reaction is that there was no way this woman thinks the world is really flat. Perhaps she was just being defensive because the tone of the question to me appeared to be 'if you are so backwards to think that evolution didn't happen then could you be so stubborn against modern science that you would still claim our world to be flat?'


I just don't understand how in this day and age when we can slice atoms and break down DNA to it's very bits that people will still say that they don't believe evolution is possible and happened and is happening.


I know I'm not exactly breaking out facts here and quoting textbooks but I don't really think that's what I was going for. I think I'm more in shock that someone will so blindly believe in a God to not believe what is right in front of us.

No comments: