Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Job Announcement

I have three more working days at MoMA and then I'm done. I'm experiencing a mix of happiness, excitement, nervousness, panic. You know...all the standard Jamie-traits.

MoMA was great because it came right when I needed a confidence booster to show that people do think I'm a qualified worker. It's interview process wasn't pretentious. I was called on a Sunday and offered the job. I got paid money that I desperately needed. I got to see a world-class museum and some of it's inner workings. I made some nice co-worker friends.

MoMA sucked because it is the most insanely busy place I've ever worked at. MoMA sucked because even people who think they are so cultured because they are spending the day at a museum can be the rudest, meanest, most impatient assholes IN THE WORLD. I'll miss the work friends I made. I don't think I'll miss MoMA.

Next Wednesday I will begin life as a teacher's assistant for a nursery school in my neighborhood. Nervous? Me? YES!

I'm going from a job where I get called an ass by a grown man to where I might be wiping asses. (Okay, probably will be wiping asses) I'm going from a job of telling adults who refuse to read signs where the bathrooms are, to taking little humans to the bathroom. I'll be going from Monet and Picasso to fingerpaint and apple juice.

I'll be making more money (not tons but more is nice), actually getting health coverage (union), I'll have weekends off, and I won't have to take the subway as it's a 10 minute walk from my house.

I mean the only downside I think is that the friends I made at MoMA will be really hard to keep. Let's face it, when you can't commiserate about the old lady who insults everyone at the information desk on a daily basis, what is there to talk about. They all gather to drown their MoMA sorrows right after work. What are they going to do? Call the nursery girl and ask how my day at the playground was? I'd like to think it'd work, but who knows? The concern grows as I'm pretty certain that all of my future coworkers aren't spring chickens. There goes my mini social life I was trying to create.

But here is to my new future, working with our future!

No comments: