Saturday, March 13, 2010

Cats and Dogs

I like going to the gym after work because it lets me blow off some steam but I also feel overwhelmed after work with things I need to get done: try and make it to my parents to walk the dog, get home because there are lonely birds, get home to make dinner, get to the gym quick enough because it gets unbearably crowded. All those things would get the best of me and I would find some excuse to not do most of them, including getting to the gym.

So this past week I thought I'd give the 5am gym routine a go. You know, wake up early and get it out of the way. Uh...not so successful. Tuesday was painful because it was Day One. I was EXHAUSTED all freaking day. No matter what I did I just couldn't snap out of this fog.
Day Two was the same. I'm just tired all day and I can truly feel my cells in my body tingling with pain and exhaustion.
Day Three I just stayed in bed. And I felt great all day.

I just couldn't do it. It wasn't the waking up at 5am so much as it was having to stay awake for the rest of the day. I never felt rejuvenated, ready to face the day. I was so out of it for the workout that I could never put the same effort I could do at the end of the day so I was barely breaking a sweat.
I also learned that coffee doesn't so much make me more awake than it is an actual joint lubricant. Which is just f'ing crazy. Apparently I need coffee not so much to think better but just bending down to pick up a dropped item hurt my achey knees so much more before coffee than after.
I guess this New Yorker needs to learn to embrace the crowds.

*******

So it's total shit outside and that's a total bummer because Mark and I are down to the wire in laundry and we were really hoping to take some things over to the new apartment. Ahhhh that new apartment. It's lovely, exciting...and empty. I'm dying to get in there. Everytime I run late in the morning because I had to wait for water to appear in my shower I dream of the day when I can turn on a faucet and there it will be. Hot, gushing, ejaculating water. It's so exciting. Mark and I have set the move date. It will be next Sunday, March 21st. We're just going to bite the bullet, rent a van, pull a favor card with friends, and make our escape. I pray that the weather is nothing like this weekend.

No comments: