Thursday, January 24, 2008

A Glimmer of Hope and then...

For some strange reason the other day I got it in my head that Mark and I should totally just face reality and go to New York City because we would have a network of people to help us in some way get on our feet. Sure most of them would be loud Puerto Ricans who are in some way related to me but Mark has friends there too so it wouldn't be so bad. I mentioned this and he totally agreed!I suddenly started thinking about neighborhoods that we could probably afford, maybe inviting over my parents for a dinner I cooked (would I make it vegetarian to annoy my dad? maybe), commuting on the subway, practicing fake interviews where I assured the interviewer that if there is anything I know, it's customer service. I imagined calling friends I really don't talk to anymore and creating a new little social circle for myself that involved off-Broadway shows, random jazz performances, tasty pizzerias. I went to town. I was excited. Nervous and scared of course, but excited.

And then he backed out on me. He said he wasn't so sure. It was too expensive. Maybe we should pick a city near New York City; like Philadelphia (which he always pronounces as Philadalphia). Because I have fears about moving back to New York myself I just sadly smiled and said sure, we'll still think about it. I slumped off to bed, soggy tissues in hand, nose lotion in pocket, and as I started to fall asleep I cried (just a little!).

Little do I realize he's keeping up some dialogue with a friend about how he still really wants to move to San Francisco (New Yorkers: gasp here) because he knows so many people there. Now we all know how Mark feels about my family:Big yawn at last Christmas. Notice how thrilled he looks to be there.

But he knows people in New York too! I understand that a city that is so expensive can have that as an argument against its quality of life, but it has everything else he wants! He'd never have to drive, he'd have culture galore! Loads of diversity! I'm sorry Mark's friends in NY. He obviously doesn't regard you very highly. But as I said before and it will continue to be my argument: Mark knowing a lot of people in San Francisco (just as equally expensive as NYC) is not a reason for me to move there.

The Battle continues...

1 comment:

bffive said...

rock it up in westchester!!! slightly less expensive, commutable by train or bus to pretty much anywhere, and most importantly i live here as does sam and our little ellie belly (the cute dog). :-)