This is it. Our last day here in Colombia. Of course our last experiences here wouldn't have been complete without some annoying tidbits taking place. Let's divulge!
We have some loud chicas now living on the hall who walk back and forth all morning to the bathroom, all the while puffing on cigarettes and stinking up our room. It's been so long since I awoke to the sensation of second-hand smoke. I still don't miss it.
We went to eat breakfast at the one place we knew would be open, a diner-type place called Salerno. This was to be our third outing there. I went back to the trusty french toast and was super excited to find that instead of two lukewarm pieces of bread, this time I was given four nice and warm pieces of french toast. Part of me was very glad that I got the bigger plate this time because if I was given four my first visit and two my last I'd be seriously annoyed at me being ripped-off. It was super tasty and instead of maple syrup I was given honey which made it amazing. But french toast needs butter and so I asked for some since we were never given any even though they gave us a basket of toast (which had never been done before either).
When we went to pay our standard 13,000 pesos that we had paid every other time suddenly the check was 18,000 pesos. I looked at the receipt and saw that we were being charged for an extra juice which we didn't have and the bitches were charging us for the butter. We asked for the juice to be taken off and were of course suddenly looked at with great suspicion even though we absolutely didn't ask for any extra acid, thank you very much. But the butter charge prevailed which is total bullshit and we walked out of there feeling totally ripped off. The worst part is that I could proclaim I'm never going to go there again, but it's really not a choice.
Mark of course was feeling his insatiable need for beverages and so we hung out while he drank a latte and then we headed back to the room. I took a really good nap while he went out and blogged it up.
After I arrose we headed out for yet another meal (all we've done for 2 months is search for food) and enjoyed some grilled meat. As we headed down the street, amazed by the amount of street performers out on this fine Sunday, I heard the sweet, sweet sound of a marching band. I love the sound of a gaggle of snare drums, the blasting of some horns, a group of bass drums, and the tinkle of xylophones. Mark rolled his eyes as I demanded we hurry to the Plaza Bolivar. It was the changing of the guard and a whole military band was out playing while a team of colorfully uniformed men folded a ginormous Colombian flag in a very awkward choreographed manner. It was really neat to watch and I really enjoyed the music, minus the few bits where a xylophone was definitely a little off. I walked away feeling full of patriotic pride. Even if I'm not from here.
We headed off to yet another cafe where I bought a souvenir sweater and Mark had yet another hot chocolate. I refrained from any beverages as I was saving myself...for ice cream. I had waited until the very end of our time here in Bogotá for a decedant indulgence at Crepes & Waffles. It's a chain of restaurants that has insane desserts and I was going to have one for dinner. At 5pm on this leisurely Sunday we headed to Crepes & Waffles as I dreamed of brownies and nuts and ice cream and syrups. Of gooey warm amazingness. I could see it ahead! There is a pep in my step! We reached the doors with their golden borders. And they were closed.
1 comment:
Ha ha, life! Being charged for butter, and then having your dreams of ice cream pleasures destroyed. Honestly, I can't wait to have you back in the States.
Beth
Post a Comment