Sunday, March 16, 2008

iPod by J.Crew

Everyone if fully aware that some things are just yuppie. Whole Foods, Volvo, J. Crew, renting a house in the Hamptons. But some things are definitely bought by a wide market and yet the commercials continue to baffle me at how 'exclusive' their message seems to be.

iPod commercials: Nothing but Facebook, Emo, white guys in chinos and chunky dark eyewear. I'm pretty sure when I went to the Apple store in Lower Manhattan to buy my iPod a few years there was a nice style and ethnic mix of employees and customers. I'm pretty sure when I was riding a subway last the guy sitting next to me in oversized jeans was listening to some old Tupac on white headphones.

Maybe it's my tiny bit of minority pride I have in me, on a growth spurt since I've been spending too much time in Southern California. But I almost get the vibe from these commercials, and magazines like Harper's Bazaar, and catalogs like J.Crew that they are sending some sort of subliminal message. A message that says why advertise to a genre of people who obviously can't afford our items. I mean...we don't do layaway.

No comments: