I just saw a commercial for Nutella. Nutella is making its debut to the wide American public! Here's what I have to say to you America: I suggest enjoying Nutella with a good-quality crunchy peanut butter. But...watch the hips. They spread.
You know what I love about the NYC Subway. I love being in a moving train inside the tunnel and passing by another moving train. Often times you're going slow enough that you can see into the other train's windows. What I think is cool is that the windows appear to be quick snapshots into the train. Everyone is frozen in this one position and the dirt on the windows and the darkness of the tunnel gives everything a strange 'sepia' light to it. Ride the train, keep your eyes out, see what I mean.
Today I took a class at the Institute of Culinary Education. We made focaccia, bakery crumb buns, fougasse, rosemary olive bread knots, pecan sticky buns. Tomorrow we'll make sweet and savory tarts. Is it really a big surprise that I'm super excited for the bitter chocolate tart?
We worked in teams of 3. Luckily there was one lady I got along with very nicely. She was soft-spoken and seemed to be quite a rookie like me. It was great because we ended up working with this other lady who doesn't seem to quite get the 'team work' thing. We're supposed to all read the recipe together, work together. She starts up the mixer and just goes. She's a Jersey Housewife type. Lots of makeup, little summer dress, enormous diamond ring, funny accent. She's taken classes there before and just dived in with no interest in including us.
Because I was so out of my element I kinda just stepped back at first but then my pal was like "No way! We all paid our $220 for this class! You go. It's your turn" So we gently let her know that we weren't going to be invisible and so we started to step up and take turns.
Part of the reason I tried to stay under the radar was because the chef was classic "chef" in that he yelled, embarrassed, made people feel uncomfortable. He definitely had his funny lines here and there but it was ideal to stay out of his way.
So now I've got just a few treats in my kitchen after saving them from my father's hands. I plan on having some yummy bakery crumb buns with my coffee tomorrow! I'll definitely be making those again, they're delish!
No comments:
Post a Comment