So I just finished reading Anita Shreve's Testimony. This woman is amazing. I devoured it. I love everything she creates. The first of her books I read was Sea Glass. I can't remember exactly what made me pick it up. Was it free? Or the cover intrigued me? It was an unusual read for me. I remember being caught off-guard by the way she writes. Is it that she doesn't depend on dialogue in any way? I don't think I immediately loved Sea Glass but then I read another of her books...which I can't remember, but I think I was hooked.
Since then I've tried to read almost all of her novels. Whenever I see them for sale at a thrift store I jump at the chance to own them. I can't say I identify with any of her characters in the usual way - they all tend to be extremely WASPish, wealthy or well-off, formal. But at the same time they're all so tortured and eloquent, they're all in such pain! The tension, the suffering: you don't have to be a WASP to identify with that! I don't know, I just really love her tempo, her style.
The Time Traveler's Wife is coming out as a movie in just a few days. As much as I love Rachel McAdams, I'm not interested in viewing this movie anytime soon.* Usually when a book turns into a movie I can potentially get excited for it, especially if while reading the book I picture it cinematically. And vice versa, if a really good movie turns out to be based on a book I'll run to read the book before I watch the movie just so I can compare them.
But I remember reading The Time Traveler's Wife and it was a pretty complex, imaginative book. I can't imagine how much will be lost in the film. I mean the time travelling and the following Henry around when he's with himself, and keeping track of which age Clare is and where they are in their relationship. I mean, I'm rambling but that just goes to show you how confusing yet awesome this book was and how a movie just won't work. I recommend the read however. I loved it.
*Due to boredom I viewed the movie trailer online. Okay fine, it does look entertaining enough...
No comments:
Post a Comment