Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Getting Older

So for my birthday Mark and I went out to Jackson Heights to get some Indian. We went to the Jackson Diner which we were told was once a diner but now a really popular Indian spot. For you non-NYCers if New York City is a Melting Pot then Jackson Heights is like...more? I don't know, cleverness is lost to me today but basically there's a fuck-load of Indians in Jackson Heights so you go there for more than just the one option we have up here in Inwood.

I knew I was in the thick of it when the man next to me was eating his dish with his bare hands, which is the way they do it in India. It's actually impressive because you're talking curry here: liquid, runny stuff. He was actually a neater eater than me.

We were there for the lunch buffet which is exactly what you want when you're wearing a tighter fitting dress and you already have issues about how you look. What's this? No flowey layers? Wanna have a buffet of your favorite ethnic food? Sure! So we ate lunch with a friend and then headed to MoMA because I can still get in for free and we were only 2 train stops away.

At MoMA the Indian theme accidentally continued. There was a woman there wearing a stunning sari. It wasn't brightly colored or cheap looking like they can sometimes look. This was a beautiful, tapestry-like sari that flowed and hung over her body. I instantly wished I was Indian. So bad.
You get to be curvy...sometimes more. You get to wear comfy clothing. It can have beautiful, bold prints. You have long, dark, delicious hair that never seems to know it's humid. Ugh.

So we had people over for drinks in the evening and it was a lot of fun. It was a nice mix of people. A weird 'reunion' of sorts where the only thing that everyone had in common was me. A girl from college who I haven't seen until just a week earlier. Two girls from MoMA which I thought was really awesome too. I keep in touch mostly through Facebook but when you really think about it, I only worked with them for two months two years ago but they came and I had a great time talking with them. My buddy Steve who, poor thing, sat in the corner for a short time and I didn't really get a chance to talk to him. And some others who I was happy to have. I think everyone hit it off well.

Anyway, here it is. We're thick into summer. We've had our first heat wave and I've applied to 12 jobs. I'm starting to wilt. I've got myself a little cozy corner to make mine and it does help with my motivation to sit down and send out a resumé but I'm a victim to my defeatism.

Soon we'll head out to Lake Tahoe and down to San Diego and I'm gonna try really hard to just have a fucking blast. Just enjoy what will be my last vacation for a long time and not worry about what's waiting for me at home. But it will be hard since my brain just isn't wired that way.

No comments: