So I cried and studied and cried and studied and watched an assload of videos on Khan Academy's website. I went to take my math assessment test and told myself 'It's untimed. Just deep breathes and figure out what to do.' So I go in there and breeze through a few. It's the kind of test that gets more difficult as you answer correctly. I'm definitely feeling like the studying was helpful and then suddenly BAM. I hit a type of question that I had absolutely no idea how to solve. I try and try and it's multiple choice but none of the solutions I come up with are remotely like the options. I guess a few and get tossed back to an easy question, which to me meant the computer was making sure it had progressed me forward appropriately. But then I was back to the hard questions. I was trying my best. Not feeling pressured during this untimed test.
Then the proctor goes "Just so you know the lab closes at 5pm. So you need to be finished by then or your test won't be complete. You have time but you know..." and she just fades out. It's 4:30. Now I'm freaking out. The program is designed where I can't see how many questions I have left. If I knew the total then I would figure out how much time I have to mess with each question. But suddenly this untimed test is very much timed and there's no f'ing way I'm not going to finish and then maybe have to come back and relive the whole nightmare. So basically I just start clicking answers and then suddenly the test was done. I was totally annoyed because I really only had like eight questions left and could have totally taken more time but in the end I would have still been guessing.
At the test they give you a card and it tells you when to go to the advising office to register. My date was June 4. But then across the bottom it says 'Transfer students will receive separate card'. Of course. Still waiting for this mysterious card. So I figure I will wait for the card and if I don't get it then I will at least show up on June 4th. So suddenly it's May 23rd. I get my mail in the p.m. So here I am 5:30 on May 23rd and I get my card in the mail and my appointment is for May 23rd. 9:30am. MOTHER F.
I was steaming. So I called the next day and asked about it and the guy said "oh, you can come in anytime" and I got all snarky and said "The last time I was told that, I came in and everyone was rude to me." He bumbled and stuttered and basically I thought I'll just go in on my next day available.
So I did and was seen. It was pretty easy breezy which was so needed. It turns out that I missed being placed in a second level math test by only three points!! Which I was actually amazingly thrilled about. Let's process this: the last math class I took was a non-regents, very basic, math class my senior year of high school. So in 13 years I may have not progressed but I have ended up exactly where I should be and not even more behind. And only by three points. I was totally happy.
So now I'm registered for 14 credits, will be in class for an epic amount of hours taking all the sort of classes any standard freshman has to take and I will lose a lot of work hours but I'm sort of thrilled. Just a bit.
I was glad that it all worked out because I had had the worst week ever before that. My dad was ill, I had a huge, annoying, frustrating dilemma with the family I work for that resulted in my having to give up a job, and then my sweet, yummy, beautiful old dog had to be put to sleep and it was THE WORST DAY EVER. It was pretty horrible and I'm 70% certain that I will never have a dog again just so I don't have to experience that pain again. And I'm not even my mom who saw him as the third baby she never had. Horrible. I'll just stop there.
So now I just have to figure out how to be a student again, rent books, syllabus collecting, actually have homework that doesn't require me to create a story out of my ass. Meanwhile still being a wife who doesn't want to live in squalid conditions and commute to school for an hour each way everyday. I hope I survive.
No comments:
Post a Comment