
I once went to España for 5 weeks with the intention of learning the Spanish language, getting to know the culture and having a life experience. Even though I saw some beautiful things and made some friends I still keep in touch with I basically was extremely homesick and culture shocked and never spoke a work of Spanish outside of my class.
So this basically means the only experience eating tapas has been here in the States. So yes, I probably haven’t had the most authentic of tapas, but I am discovering that maybe I would’ve liked them (minus the shrimp still with eyeballs). I wanted to share with you this recipe that I’ve made twice so far and I pretty much want to have it all the time. I’d also like to note that Gruyère cheese is actually pretty tasty and you probably won’t find it in a hole in the wall supermarket but it’s essential to this Spanish Tortilla.
OH! The fun part is you get to flip this giant disc of egg back into the skillet. So break out your skillz!
Spanish Egg Tortilla
In Spain, a tortilla is a potato and egg omelet!
INGREDIENTS
1/2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 (4-oz.) red potato, cooked and thinly sliced
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
Freshly ground pepper to taste
3/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)
DIRECTIONS
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 to 20 minutes
Heat oil in a 7- or 8-inch skillet. Add onions and cook over low heat for 10 minutes; add potatoes to skillet. Season eggs with garlic salt and pepper; stir in cheese and add to skillet. Let cook for a few minutes, then carefully lift edges and tilt skillet so uncooked egg can run underneath. When eggs are almost set, carefully slide onto a plate. Cover with skillet and invert eggs back into skillet. Cook for a few minutes more or until cooked through. Sprinkle with parsley and cut into wedges. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 wedges.
1 comment:
Okay, seriously - these posts are making me hungry. Which is bad, because the only thing I have handy to eat is a corporate audit notice from New York State.
Post a Comment