Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Scar

Who designed this place? You'd think California was Detroit. This entire state is designed for you to possibly fail in living if you don't own and operate your own vehicle. Public transportation is a joke. Seriously. When comedians make fun of fat Americans driving the .03 miles to Del Taco in their Chevy Suburban, they're talking about Californians.

Mark thinks I hate public transportation and that I'm one of those people who will drive anywhere and everywhere. But that's not true. I grew up in NYC. I enjoyed the swooping of a MetroCard. I was a MetroCard snob. You know, you get to the turnstile and you're ready to swoop it through and hear that beep and you didn't even have to slow down the pace. And god forbid the person in front of you doesn't have the right momentum and they get denied at the turnstile and you have to stop short lest you walk right into them. But you smile if they are in the turnstile next to you and as you continue your swooping they walk right into the metal bar. And think of all the great reading you get done on your commutes. The only thing that really sucked was the 1 train going uptown at 59th street at 8 in the morning. Dear God.

That and I got a lot of walking done. I was pretty fit during the Summer of '05. I'm actually amazed at how fit I was. I'm getting teary eyed.

Anywho...

So one of the many changes I had to make out here was learning how to drive. Now I enjoy driving out here because it's new to me and really, what can go wrong when there is only one road to drive. But let's face it. I'm still new, not always confident, and I definitely have some rage problems. But I was doing pretty good until....



This is Suby. Suby is our (and by our I mean Mark's) 1991 Silver Subaru Legacy L wagon, 184,000 miles, power windows, power locks, three cracks windshield, radio only beast of a car. And sometimes the driver door will actually open without you reaching out the window.

She's been great to us. She handles Fallen Leaf Road like a charm (the one lane, two-way nightmare that is the only way to work) She tops out at about 45mph uphill, and she's got tons of cargo space. There wasn't much wrong with her until:

August 4th, 10am.

Now I know I was driving and part of me was telling me "maybe you shouldn't try this" but on the other hand I had a jerk in a luxury vehicle behind me who wasn't going to move, and a retard Stanford kid (because only retards get into ivy league colleges, as long as they've got the cash) had parked the camp 'Town Run Truck' in the middle of the freaking road. Even though it was check out day and everyone needed to drive down this road. So I gassed it and pushed through.
A massive terrible noise was heard and the 'TRT' moved a little and I ended up with this.

Now Mark was pretty livid, understandably, and I was pretty annoyed because if I would've just told the retard to move his f'ing truck, none of this would've happened. But weeks have gone by now and we've just accepted it as another phase of Suby's life.

So, needless to say, I'm not a good driver, and I really don't plan on driving very much in my future especially if someone else can drive. And I'm sure Mark will be stoked when we live somewhere that allows the thought of me driving to be put to rest and I can get a monthly pass instead.

No comments: