On Monday I wrote an essay explaining more about what I could bring and what I expected from a position I was applying for. Basically I had to write a personal statement just to make it to interview stage. Then I waited for a call to have my phone interview. It didn't come.
Tuesday I sat around with my thumb up my butt while Mark went to Hartsdale to spend hours in an Australian's basement. Then I waited for a call to have my phone interview. It didn't come.
Wednesday I went into a temp agency to meet with a staffing counselor. She was out sick. I met with another dude instead who had me tested (typing, Excel, Power Point) and I failed miserably. So miserably this guy basically told me I was useless to him. He tried to feel me out to see what I wanted to do. I was being no help and he said 'Well what do you like to do?' to which I would have happily replied 'If I knew what I liked to do I wouldn't be at a temp agency' but instead politely replied 'I don't really know, I guess I have to figure that out.' And then I just imagined stabbing him.
When I got home I felt miserable about myself. In two hours I had had a poor first impression both on a temp agency and from the temp agency. I realized I hate corporate, I will never be an administrative anything and apparently I don't want to be one, and that after all this self exploration and travel and growth I still don't know shit.
I called my mommy and had a breakdown. I could hear her coworker laughing in the background because my mom must have looked as shocked as she sounded. She said she was 47 and she still didn't know what she wants. Don't worry it will be okay. To which in the middle of the street on a sunny afternoon holding my dog's leash and cell phone in one hand and a big bag of poo in the other I hysterically cried out 'No it's not okay. I'm 26, I have no job, no money, no place to live, I'm sleeping on an air mattress in my parent's living room with my boyfriend, my poor, poor sucker of a boyfriend, and I can't even make a spreadsheet!" Then I waited for a phone interview. It didn't come.
I don't remember what I did Thursday. But I waited for that phone interview again only to be told in some lame email that the week has just flown by! Let's reschedule that phone interview for Monday.
Friday I spent with Mark in Hartsdale in an Australian's basement. We labeled and sliced and peeled and boxed for 7+ hours pretty much only stopping to chew on a sandwich for 2.5 minutes and to pee. While it wasn't fun, it was a tragic reminder of what my life will be when the temping actually begins. I was given a check at the end of my day so it wasn't all for nothing but I'm pretty much still in the same place I was when I woke up this morning.
Saturday will be spent outdoors, so I'm politely asking for my social anxiety to stay away. Mark and I will break out our walking shoes and stroll around midtown. W34th for some mini, super-budget shopping, to Grand Central for some Earth Day stuff, and then down 14th for Trader Joe's. If you're around give our cells a holler.
( I remembered that Thursday was spent walking my dog with my dad and eating Chinese take-out which I have to say let me down tremendously. That was so not the General Tso's chicken I grew up loving)
1 comment:
Matias, isn't New York City all about rejection? I don't think you should take it so hard, you have a great head on your shoulders. Your friend, Beth
Post a Comment